VPEP/ VEST Frequently Asked Questions
- Will VPEP automatically pay tuition for summer semester?
No. You should contact the Virginia College Savings Plan office in Richmond (1-888-567-0540) to request summer benefits for tuition. We do not automatically bill VPEP for summer.
- I am using VPEP benefits and also have a scholarship which is designated for tuition only. What is the best way to use my scholarship?
To ensure maximum financial benefit from your VPEP when receiving scholarships or grants designated for tuition only, consideration should be given to the level of benefits being accessed. You may want to contact the Virginia College Savings Plan Office (1-888-567-0540) to review plan options for covering other non-tuition educational costs such as room and board.
- I set up a VPEP account some years ago. Have you received information from the Virginia College Savings Plan to let you know I am enrolled in the program?
If you have notified VCSP by sending them an "Intent to Enroll" form to let them know which college or university you are attending, your name will be on the roster of participants we receive in early July each year.
- Will VPEP pay my departmental Fees such as engineering, software and lab fees?
- No. VPEP will only pay normal tuition and fee charges that every university student receives. Not fees specific to a course or major.
- VCSP says they will not be paying VT for tuition and fees until after the drop/add period for the semester. Will I get a late fee or have my classes cancelled?
Once we receive the roster, a pending credit for the amount of tuition and fees is entered on each student account. You will see the pending credit on your bill and also on the Hokie SPA. As long as all charges other than tuition and fees are paid or covered by scholarships or loans and there is not amount due by the payment deadline, you should not have a hold or late fee and your classes are protected.
- The Virginia College Savings Plan will be paying my tuition. How do I know how much I owe for other expenses such as room and board?
We receive a roster of all VPEP participants each semester (approximately the first week of July for Fall semester and the first week of December for Spring semester). When you receive your bill, you will see a VPEP pending credit on your account for the amount of tuition and fees. The amount due for room, board, and any other charges will be reflected in the balance.
- Do I have to send an "Intent to Enroll" form to VCSP to receive VPEP each year?
No, you only have to send it the first time you enroll unless you leave the university and re-enroll later. In that case, you would need to send in another form.
- Do I have to send a VEST distribution request form every semester?
Yes, you need to request the amount of distribution you want sent to us every semester.
- I sent a VEST distribution request form to VCSP in Richmond but my student account does not reflect the amount requested. Has VCSP let you know that the funds are coming?
We will not be notified until the funds are disbursed and on their way to us. If you will send (fax) a copy of your distribution request form to the Bursar's Office at the same time you send it to Richmond, we can enter a "pending credit" on your student account until payment is received.
- The VEST distribution request form asks for my ID number. What number do I use?
You should use the nine digit Student ID number assigned to you by Virginia Tech which normally begins with 904 or 905.