University Bursar Home

Perkins and HPSL Loan Information

Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note Process

If you have been awarded a Federal Perkins Loan or Health Professions Student loan for the academic year and you wish to accept this loan you must complete the online entrance interview, confidential questionnaire and sign a promissory note through the online process. You can complete the requirements to accept your loan by going to your Hokie SPA account and clicking on the following: Financial Aid Information, My Award Information and then select Perkins Promissory Note or Health Professions Promissory Note.

Questions regarding eligibility or amounts of awards should be directed to the Financial Aid Office. Questions regarding the online promissory note process, the exit process and repayment should be directed to the Bursar's Office.

If you do not wish to accept a loan, you should contact the Financial Aid office for guidance and instructions on how to cancel the loan award and how cancelling the loan may affect your overall award package. Contact Financial Aid at 540/231-5179 or e-mail

Resignations and Withdrawals:

If you resign or withdraw from Virginia Tech and you have been awarded a Perkins or HPSL you may not be eligible for all or any of these loan funds. The Financial Aid Office can tell you how much of your aid you may be eligible for based on the date of your withdrawal or resignation.

Transferring to another school:

Perkins loans and Health Professions Student loans are Campus Based Federal loans. This means that the school you receive the award from is your lender for those loan funds. If you transfer to another school you must complete an exit for the loans you received while at Virginia Tech. Contact the Bursar's Office for questions regarding the exit process and deferring your loans while continuing your education at another institution.


When you graduate from Virginia Tech, you will need to complete an online exit. If you do not receive an email or other notification and instructions from the Bursar's Office at least three weeks prior to your graduation date, you should contact the Bursar's Office. If you will be graduating, but continuing your education at Virginia Tech, you should contact the Bursar's Office so your graduation/separation date can be updated for your loan.

Perkins and Health Professions student loans

Information is available regarding repayment, loan consolidation, default, loan rehabilitation, cancellation and loan forgiveness at the U.S. Department of Education's web site or by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).